Tuesday 22 March 2011

Opening 5 - Bath time!

Have ribbon, will travel. I was in Bath on Sunday with a few hours to kill so I enlisted the help of Paul & Emily from the River Cottage Canteen at Komedia (Where I had been playing the night before), shortly after they had fed me much needed elderflower & rose juice, roast lamb and hot coffee. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall was NOT in attendance. His reasons were undoubtedly legion.

Paul (holding ribbon) and Emily (wearing it). Notice Komedia sign in background. Ooh I'm right arty
We set off in search of something truly ancient. After Roman all over the place we settled on the Cross Bath of the ancient Thermae Spa. According to the official website, "Where the Cross Bath now stands, the Celts revered their goddess Sul, in whose honour the Romans named their spa town, Aquae Sulis. The Cross Spring is now recognised as an official sacred site". All I know is, it needed unofficially opening! We got lucky with today's random photographer, a lady tourist who was leaning her head back against the spa's outer wall, lost in the history and drama of her surroundings. Suffice to say she wasn't expecting me to come at her with a pair of scissors.

Ready...
Steady...
Go!
She was a cracking "unofficial opener" and took the above tryptych without prompting, instinctively understanding the importance of the occasion. I didn't catch her name.

Tell your friends about Unofficial Openings and if you'd like me to come and unofficially open something near you, email me here

2 comments:

  1. Quite good PB, but you are on the wrong side of the ribbon!... You just opened Bath, rather than the site.... Congratulations!! A whole city opened in one morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah well I found that if I stood the "correct" side then it often led to one of the ribbon holders being obscured and I want them all to get their day in the sunshine...

    ReplyDelete