Wednesday 16 March 2011

The first opening!

I'd better just explain what's going on here. I had an idea the other day to randomly unofficially open local businesses that were already in operation for no other reason than I could. I talked it through with one or two people whose only concerns seemed to be that I "would need a lot of ribbon" and "Might get arrested for a breech of the peace".

Me with two of the most important things you need for an unofficial opening - scissors and ribbon - right there in my top pocket!
I figured that at least early doors it was unlikely to get a lot of attention but enough people thought it was a good idea so I've gone for it. I expect the blog to really be not much more than photographs with lengthy captions and it is really a companion  to the story of my unremarkable life although I have yet to really think it through sufficiently to be any more detailed than that. The first opening was advertised at a comedy show and a few people showed up to see it - two of which held the ribbon, one of whom took the photos.

Thanks to Kris for showing up and taking this "action" photo of the  first snipped ribbon.  Ribbon-holders are Jane and her friendwhosenameescapesme* who had interrupted their lunch break to get involved in this nonsense. With confidence I plan to get closer to the shops in future - but come on - tiny acorns...
There was also a lady hanging out of an upstairs window opposite and a man who showed up a minute too late to film it. I apologised profusely to him but felt the need to move on as there was a traffic warden nearby who was watching me suspiciously and I thought she might call for back up. At no time was Justin Timberlake present.

Here's the Guerilla-style photograph as taken from an upstairs window by a very excited Linda from the Arts Centre over the road. Apparently a few people in the cafe were looking out of the window, wondering what was going on, but I didn't see them. Maria and her friend in the cafe were disappointed that I hadn't told them it was happening as they had wanted to hold the ribbon themselves
Well it's a hobby. I shall update this blog as and when I unofficially open things. Thanks for reading it and please spread the word. I currently have nine metres of ribbon left which should do about another six unofficial openings.

*Whose name I now remember is "Paula". You'd think I'd have known  that, really - it's only one letter off my own.

6 comments:

  1. Come and unofficially open Marks and Spencer in Hitchin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may do but there are other businesses I already have lined up for the jewel in the crown of N. Hertfordshire that (I feel) are of more importance. Thanks for the suggestion though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.ceremonialscissors.com/15inchgoldceremonialscissors.html
    How about these PB, get one of your more loaded fans to get you some. Or if you want, I could find some wallpaper scissors, and see if my old company could flash them with a bit of gold?
    A hobby is worth pursuing, especially if it annoys the powers that be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm taking this thing one day at a time - I'm actually looking for a suitable tricorn at present. Any help appreciated in my quest for the greatest scissors, though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big wallpaper scissors PB. I`ll sort some out, put a bit of real shiny 23 karat gold on them and post them down to the heathen south. You`ll have to send me your address via facebook. I have a big felt cavaliers hat that could be remodelled into a tricorn probably, but Ive just had a look on ebay, and even the fanciest is less than a tenner!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Mike I'm looking in to tricorns as we speak. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete