Friday 3 June 2011

Opening 11 - My first (and finest) Northern landmark!

Few monuments in the UK are more striking or prominent than The Angel Of The North, looming proudly over the A1(M) around Gateshead in The North East of England. It was officially opened around 1997 but it took fourteen years for me to unofficially open it and I had to cajole the lovely Buchanans into holding the ribbon for me. We had never met before but you know what they say - Unofficial Openings bring people together...

The Angels of both The North AND South. But how is this lonesome opener going to get this baby unofficially opened?
Why, by getting the help of lovely couple Neil and Lianne Buchanan of course!

Beautifully snipped and yes, they chose to keep the ribbon as a memento. I wish them well for the future and hope to get  equally nice ribbon holders in the future!
Sadly Alan Shearer was otherwise engaged, The Animals were out of town and Gazza could have been anywhere. I'm sure they would have sent their apologies though. Spread the word about Unofficial Openings and check back soon for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment