Monday 6 June 2011

Oops! My first forgotten opening! A watery treaure!

(I should have posted this one before the unofficial opening of The Angel Of The North but it somehow excaped my attention). There probably aren't many people who have unofficially opened a waterfall. I am one of the few. I went here by chance, on a whim, by accident, perhaps by destiny. It is called Teesside High Force

Hmm nice waterfall - looks ripe for opening, but hang on - there's no-one about to hold the ribbon!
...And with scissors and ribbon in hand I was desperate to give it a thorough unofficial opening, particularly as I had never even heard of it before, let alone seen it. It cost me £2 to park and a further £1.50 to be allowed to walk the half-mile gently undulating path to it.

PROBLEM

It was also largely deserted. I only had one companion with me to hold the camera and no-one to fulfil the ceremonial duties! Not to be outdone, I settled on a cunning plan...

...Tie the ribbon to this handy wooden fencepost...

I know, I know - not really fulfilling the obligations of "Unofficial Openings" but you can't blame me for this one - my flagrant disregard for my own rules is tempered by the beauty of the surroundings
...Aaaaaaaaaand snip!

Nice
Teesside High Force you are unofficially OPEN! Sadly Chris Rea, Bob Mortimer and Paul Daniels were unavailable, as (seemingly) were all the other famous people to hail from Teesside. I'm sure they'll be there next time. Spread the word about unofficial openings and I'll see you all soon for some more.... UNOFFICIAL OPENING!

No comments:

Post a Comment