Thursday 14 July 2011

Opening 14: All the way to Spain to be saved by The Germans!

Last Wednesday (For the fourth year in a row) I went to try and kill myself for a week at the annual Psychobilly Meeting in Pineda De Mar. It takes place in various venues around the resort and it was with playful intent that I skipped to the airport to get myself ready for some unofficial opening, Spanish style!

Of course, I wouldn't be able to open either Luton  or Barcelona airports as my scissors, thanks to the heightened threat of terrorism over the last decade, have to packed into my hold luggage, but I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find a variety of places to give a right good unofficial opening to. HOW WRONG I WAS!

That night I checked in to the AquaHotel Promenade (three stars), completely forgetting to "Cut the ribbon" on the way in. The Magma disco was no better later on, either, when I had too much to drink and couldn't hold the scissors responsibly. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday saw me fail to unofficially open the festival tent because security wouldn't let me take sharp objects in. The days were no better - I considered it to be far to dangerous to put my scissors in my swimming trunks and (with no other pockets) was unable to open unofficially the hotel pool.  The lovely "Can Josep" restaurant remained stoically unopened despite several visits there and I never made it to the Xinu Xanu (the local tourist train) to tighten the red and snip, more's the pity.

The last night was the party on the beach and well, nobody takes scissors to the beach so I thought that was just about jolly well that. Cesc Fabregas was still undecided about his future (I reckon I could have got him the short distance  from Barcelona but not The Emirates for crying out loud), Manuel from Fawlty Towers was bizarrely absent and as for the Iglesias's, well, the less said the better. Then my friends Marina and Mellina informed me that they were leaving on Tuesday. Hang about! Two more perfect ribbon-holders you couldn't wish to meet! Add my room-mate Steve into the mix on photographic duties and the next thing anyone knew, Bang!

Mellina (pictured left) and Marina (pictured right and playfully adding a little dance into the bargain) getting ready for action.  Hold that ribbon, tight, girls - here's Paul! 

Done!
The first ever unofficial opening of Pineda De Mar railway station!

It was a shame we had to let them go, really. They really were quality unofficial openers. Make sure to check back here soon for some more UNOFFICIAL OPENING!

No comments:

Post a Comment