Sunday 1 April 2012

The first opening of 2012 - and it was a Tyrolean disaster!

A belated Happy New Year, snipping chums! 


Since I lost my scissors in Budapest I've been looking around to try and get a pair exactly the same and when I finally did I ordered them online, but beware, brothers, BEWARE. When they arrived they were a different colour! Never trust the internet! Apparently my beloved 2011 editions had been discontinued and so it's out with the turquoise and in with the... grey. I guess the colour reflects both the state of the nation AND my hair so we'll be using them for the rest of the year to unofficially open a whole host of things that have already been opened!

First up for the annum potentialis and I once again found myself in Austria, this time on a comedy & skiing trip to the fabulous St. Anton. After liaising closely with the tourist office, booking the flights, booking the hotel, getting the posters designed (and printed) and contacting the hotels, pensions and chalets throughout Arlberg I was confident that the three shows I had booked with my fellow comedians Dave Thompson and Christian Schulte-Loh would be a bumper bonanza of comedy and fun.

This is the view from the balcony of our chalet in the nearby village of Pettneu. Ooh! I wonder if that skiing lady is on her way to buy tickets to our show?
Wrong.

Who knows exactly the reasons why but after two very low audiences we really had put our faith in our last show and so it's fair to say I was disappointed when we only got six people in to it. Well there was only one thing for it, ribbonjunkies! I had to get the entire audience on stage, get one of them to take the photograph, get the other comedians to hold the ribbon and unofficially open an empty room.


Here's Dave (left) and Christian (right), tightening that ribbon in a really quite severe fashion. They are both very tall but not quite as massive as they appear - They were on the stage and I was on the floor, honest. I managed to keep smiling, ribbonites, but this one was a push. Nevermind - we snip onwards AND WE SNIP UPWARDS!
This might have been my most depressing opening yet, but I remained scissor-happy and with good reason - the next opening I had planned was going to be a beauty. In other words, keep the faith, opening monkeys! greatness awaits! Tell everyone about unofficial openings! Tell them now!




...And check the above link out for some other great blogs, mostly written by American women. Once a month they get a bit angry but they don't know why.

12 comments:

  1. Oh that is so funny in the post it's worth having an empty room to open. The picture itself is worth it. Take heart! Keep going! PS: Maybe the skiing woman got lost on her way to the ticket booth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you Ado! I hope you looked back at a few others to see some rather more successful ones! Paulybx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be about the best opening sentence I've read in a long time... Since I lost my scissors in Budapest. Very funny post. A lesson to us all...make the best of it, turn it into the unexpected, and carry on. Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you might be easily pleased, Stephanie... I like that in a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happen to agree with Stephanie about that scissors opening line, and I'm notoriously hard-to-please. Thanks for linking up with us again. I've missed you in a very non-ironic way.

    Oh, hey, please disable comment Captcha! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the opening line is a winner. But I liked the rest of the post, too. I'm sure your small audience went home with a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Erica I don't know how to do things like that! Thank you Louise - well they won't forget it, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  8. In addition to the scissors that everyone has already said they loved, I liked "bumper bonanza of fun"---your non-audience had no idea what they were missing. Anyway, good luck, and I agree with Ado about the skiing lady. Funny, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog audience should be your opening audience - imagine how much fun that'd be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fifty female bloggers in a room? I shudder, Alison, I shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Michelle, although next week's is going to be even better. I'm going from the sublime to the ridiculous...

    ReplyDelete